Hi all! I have been lucky enough to read and review three books that are being released today. All three were great, and I suggest you check them out if you get a chance. The Bedlam Stacks is a great follow up to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, so fans of Watchmaker should definitely check it out.
- Girl in Snow by Danya Kukafka
- Rating: 4 stars
- Girl in Snow is a look at three characters’ lives through the lens of a mystery: a teenage girl in Colorado found dead in the snow in the middle of a playground at night… I loved the detail and distinct voices for each of the three different characters. I loved Jade’s story the most, as it resonated with my high school years… I know now that despite their popularity they had issues of their own. When you’re 15 though, it’s hard consider that they have troubles when you’ve never been asked out or even invited into any friend group.
- The Clockwork Dynasty by Daniel H. Wilson
- Rating: 4 stars
- This book was one of the most interesting and unique stories I’ve read this year. I decided to branch out and read some more sci-fi / fantasy, and this is a great work for those looking for a creative world with clockwork human-like robots. The robots have been alive for longer than recorded human history, and I feel like we just scratched the surface of their mythology in The Clockwork Dynasty.
- The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley
- Rating: 4.5 stars
- Just like Watchmaker, The Bedlam Stacks is full of gorgeous descriptions of magical events, Victorian life, and adventure. Unlike Watchmaker, this books takes the action away from London and into the forests of Peru as Merrick and his friend Clem search for quinine for the East India Company. It reminds me of the classic adventure stories I read as a child as they travel through the Andes into a village hundreds of feet in the air surrounded by obsidian glass cut through the mountains and glowing pollen that leaves a trail through the forest.
Any other great ones hitting shelves today? Let me know!